Mobile commerce (mcommerce) is continuing to grow and if your business isn’t offering mobile payment options you could be missing out.
Mobile commerce relates to the use of wireless handheld devices such as mobile phones and tablets to perform transactions. This includes everyday banking, consumer purchases, money transfers, mobile ticketing, mobile vouchers, and even information services. Payment can be through multiple payment systems including PayPal, Apple Pay, Android Pay and ‘buy’ buttons on social platforms to name a few.
Based on their survey of users, the Paypal Australian eCommerce Report found that 71 percent of respondents reported using their mobile devices to make payments, with 22 percent indicating they spend above $500 per month in mobile payments.
However the report also found that only 49 percent of Australian online businesses are optimised to receive mobile payments.
To read the full PayPal report click here.
Some tips to optimising your business for mobile ecommerce:
- Have a mobile responsive website – this is essential now, not a luxury.
- Make sure your web pages load quickly
- Ensure entering payment details is fast and seamless
- Don’t overload the customer with information that isn’t essential to their purchase
- Allow the use of mobile wallet applications if possible