Over the last 12 months, the NRA has delivered training to over 200 jobseekers through the Skilling Queenslanders for Work program, and we are very pleased to report that almost 50% of these people have found employment in retail.
Recently we asked for expressions of interest in hiring trainees from our members, and were overwhelmed with the response. Due to this high demand, the NRA Brisbane Metro Training Centre has now made its popular Ready for Retail course more flexible so jobseekers can start any day of the week and have their training tailored to them.
Yvonne Williams, NRA Director of Training & Development, said that the response showed retail businesses were keen to hire trained staff and that the government financial incentives were helping to create real job outcomes for Queensland.
“Savvy retailers are increasingly seeking staff who stand out from the rest with qualifications, industry knowledge and work experience, like those undertaking our Ready for Retail program,” she said.
“The attractive government incentives are helping retailers by making it more affordable to hire quality, trained staff.”
Does your business need well-trained staff?
We have students currently completing their Ready for Retail certification. Contact the Training team to find out how local businesses can be part of this program.
Learn about the Ready for Retail course here.
Financial incentives for hiring trainees
To encourage business owners to employ people through the program, the Queensland government is offering some very attractive financial incentives to employers through new initiatives called Work Start and Back to Work.
For Metropolitan Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast employers, Work Start provides a one-off incentive payment of $10,000 to employ eligible people in a traineeship or apprenticeship. An eligible person is someone who meets all of the following criteria:
- has undertaken a project under the Skilling Queenslanders for Work Program
- is registered in a Queensland declared traineeship or apprenticeship
- has commenced the traineeship or apprenticeship no more than six months after their exit date from a relevant Skilling Queenslanders for Work program
- has not displaced an existing worker
- has completed three months (defined as 91 days) of employment in the traineeship or apprenticeship.
For all other regional Queensland areas, a one off incentive payment of $10,000 is available through Back to Work. An eligible person is someone who meets the following criteria:
- is a resident of Queensland
- was unemployed for at least 4 weeks directly prior to commencing employment with you
- has not worked for you in the previous 12 months
- commenced work on, or after, 1 July 2016 and has worked for at least 4 weeks
- be employed in paid work full-time or part-time (not casual) for at least 20 hours per week.
Express your interest
The NRA is currently tendering for 2017 Skilling Queenslanders for Work programs. If you believe you may be interested in 2017 in this program and these incentives for your new employees, make sure you express your interest.
Find out more: contact our Training team at [email protected].